After a lot of requests, I am super excited to finally share with you my natural beauty care edit – where I have rounded up all the pregnancy approved beauty products and brands (the majority organic and natural) which I have been loving for the past 3-6 months (some even longer). As you will discover, there are lots of various different product types in here, so for ease sake, I have categorised everything for you, which will hopefully make it easier to digest. If you’re not pregnant and this blog post might not seem relevant at first; this is also an all-round beauty edit with all my favourite natural skin and hair care brands (not just specifically targeted for pregnancy), so you might just find it useful too!
You might be wondering how have I managed to get through all these products below? Well, I was actually already using many of the brands pre-pregnancy, and as they’re all mainly natural and organic – they have served as the perfect continuation now that I am pregnant. Why go natural & organic during your pregnancy? Well here are just some of the benefits for switching your skincare during these 9 months…
1. Most pregnant women know that what they put in their bodies can affect the well-being of their growing baby. But you may not have considered that what you put on your body can affect you and your baby, too. According to a survey, “Women use an average of 12 personal care products a day,” meaning they’re more likely to be exposed daily to 126 unique chemical ingredients in personal care products alone!
2. Your body undergoes many changes when you’re pregnant, especially with all those hormones – and your skin is no exception. Melasma, acne, varicose veins and stretch marks are some of the most common skin problems in pregnancy – switching your skincare to natural and organic ranges, will be much gentler on your sensitive skin.
3. Did you know that our skin absorbs about 60% of the lotions used on it (!?), and that Parabens and other nasties have been proven to pass through to the placenta and breast milk? Another massive reason to be extra cautious during pregnancy. So always check the labels carefully…
4. Everyone has their own take on it, but if you’re choosing to use organic products during your pregnancy, then be sure to choose certified organic products. There’s no legal definition of the words ‘natural’ or ‘organic’ in beauty, which means products labelled with the terms may actually contain 0% natural or organic ingredients (if in doubt, look out for the Soil Association kite-mark on packaging, which is an independent stamp of approval confirming products are a minimum of 70% organic).
5. A growing number of studies have shown that common chemicals in everyday personal care products, such as shampoo, makeup and moisturisers, are associated with developmental, reproductive and behavioural disorders, hormone disruption and cancer. Switching to clean, natural and certified organic products for your skin and hair, will go a long way in helping detoxify your pregnancy.
Now to the products and brands itself that I have been testing out – some longer than others, but everything I have included in this beauty round-up are products that I genuinely recommend. I am not being paid to write this or forced to include anything (I would never recommend products I didn’t genuinely think was worth while – especially when it comes to your skin!). Obviously we all have different skincare routines, complexion types and different budgets, so I hope there is something for everyone in here.
1. Pai Skincare Camellia and Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser
A refreshing cleanser, suitable for dry, delicate and sensitive skin or those with rosacea. Certified organic and alcohol-free, with Camellia Oil, Sweet Almond and Castor Oils to help really clean the skin, without leaving it dry.
2. ila Spa Cleansing Milk
Filled with essential oils to add radiance to you skin, whilst cleansing away toxins. Luxuriously moisturises, heals and leaves skin feeling super soft and pampered.
3. Romilly Wilde Light+Energy Serum Cleanser
A naturally active and rich cleansing oil serum. Melts into the skin immediately to help improve skin radiance and vitality. With White Water Lilly and Arnica Flower Co2 to help calm irritated skin and restore balance.
4. Indemne Miss Ella Lotion
The organic micellar cleansing water is a 100% natural blend of essential and vegetable oils to effectively clean the skin and remove make up off your face and eyes. Suitable for all skin types.
5. Soveral Awaken Cleanser
Super light but effective, strong enough to remove eye make-up but kind to the skin. Enriched with healing Aloe Vera, nourishing sunflower seed oil, and natural antibacterial lavender. Ideal for all skin types, a great facial and eye cleanser.
6. Dr Bronner’s Organic Almond Castile Liquid Soap
A true beauty staple, for all-round use in your home, your skin (or even your hair). All essential oils used, are certified organic – in other words, kind to your skin.
SERUM & MOISTURISERS
1. Susanne Kaufmann Rose Oil
A beautifully nourishing and organic stress-relieving oil, rich in unsaturated fatty acids, infused with the scent of roses.
2. Neal’s Yard Frankincense Intense Lift Serum
With targeted lifting technology, this serum will visibly help lift, plump and re-contour skin that’s starting to show signs of ageing. With a therapeutic aroma, its also a really calming and relaxing beauty product.
3. Romilly Wilde Active Boost Face Oil
A centric blend of dynamic plants and flower oils – this is a supercharged treatment, great for anti-ageing. It oil balances, nurtures and really rejuvenates to add an all-day, long lasting glow to your complexion.
4. Romilly Wilde Advanced Stemcell Serum
A dynamic, anti-ageing,´superfood` serum which helps boost your stem cells function, and increases your skin´s elasticity – using essential oils, seaweed and the highest form of Hyaluronic Acid.
5. Elemis Pro-Definition Facial Oil
With Raspberry plant stem cell technology and Himalayan Gentian extract, which is proven to nourish and even the skin tone – rich in Omega, Evening Primrose and organic Barbary Fig oil – this oil is for all day hydration, leaving skin feeling regenerated and nourished.
6. Evanesce Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Only using the purest form of cold-pressed coconut oil, this a a great beauty staple to use when your skin is feeling lacklustre, dull and dehydrated.
7. Immunocologie Hyaluronic Serum
A highly effective serum with a dual-action hydrating formula, containing a natural sodium hyaluronate derived from corn that allows the ingredient to hold moisture, Hyaluronic Serum to boost radiance and repair damaged skin cells – whilst stimulating internal cell production intense skin hydration.
8. Immunocologie Oxygen Treatment Creme
This naturally soured, nightly detox crème combines the benefits of magnesium sulfate, lactic and glycolic acids, which helps remove dead skin cells and detoxifies the skis. It also supports collagen and elastin production and helps reduce the appearance of dark spots and hyper-pigmentation.
9. Pai Skincare Chamomile & Rosehip Calming Day Cream
Ideal for sensitive skin, this super soothing cream will help minimise risk of irritation, reduce redness – whilst hydrating, with a boost of Omega 3, 6, 7 & 9.
10. Dr Jackson’s 03 Face Oil
A 10o% natural face oil blend, to help combat tired looking and irritated skin. Using vitamin-rich ingredients, this herbal formula boosts elasticity, restores firmness and reduces fine lines, while revitalising the complexion. Contains Almond, Evening Primrose, Rose Geranium and Baobab Oil.
11. Pai Skincare BioRegenerate Oil
This potent and regenerative serum noticeably improves your skin’s appearance. A multi-use product, which helps encourage the skin’s natural healing process, renews elasticity, reduces the appearance of stretch marks, scars and fine lines.
12. de Mamiel Pregnancy Facial Oil
A calming, soothing nectar of rare oils to heal and restore balance in hormonally charged or sensitive skins – specifically blended to be safe for use during pregnancy after the first trimester.
13. Herbivore Lapis Facial Oil
A rich anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial oil, which works to clarify and reduce redness, leaving you fresh faced and radiant, balances and hydrates.
BODY SCRUBS & WASH
1. KINN Body Wash
Using aromatic essential oils and organic ingredients such as ylang ylang, tangerine and lavender, as well as coconut oil to cleanse, and aloe vera extract to repair and moisturise – this is a truly beautiful and hydrating body wash.
2. Dr Hauschka Lemon Lemongrass Vitalising Body Wash
With natural essential oil made from fresh lemongrass to encourage vitality and brightness. Invigorating and awakening summery notes of lemon and lime stimulate the mind, making this a real refreshing body wash.
3. Lavera Pampering Body Wash
With Organic Rose, this gently cleanses and refreshes the skin while leaving the skin feeling soft, smooth and hydrated. Suitable for all skin types.
4. Frank Body Cacao Body Scrub
Packed with antioxidants, this natural body scrub is ideal to really rejuvenate and revive dull skin, leaving it subtle and smooth.
5. Malée Verdure Conditioning Body Scrub
A natural and nourishing green fragrance that guarantees to uplift and revitalise with warm and earthy notes of Citrus, Mint and Patchouli. A salt and sugar texture, this scrub really helps exfoliate the skin and buffs away dead skin cells, whilst hydrating with skin-loving oils such as Avocado and Shea Butter.
6. Herbivore Coco Rose Body Polish
This scrub really moisturises and gently exfoliates using a blend of soothing virgin coconut oil and soft Moroccan Rose. Created with natural ingredients, GMO free soy wax and certified organic ingredients (and it looks pretty good on your bathroom shelf, too!).
PREVENTATIVE/FIRMING BODY OILS & CREAMS
1. Indemne Antiséche Nourishing Oil
Ideal for dry and patchy pregnancy skin, to really help soothe and repair an irritated and strained skin. With sweet almond oil to really moisturise and smooth your skin´s texture.
2. Mama Mio The Tummy Rub Butter
An ultra-rich, paraben-free body butter to help improve skin elasticity. With omega-rich Organic Oils (Argan, Coconut and Avocado) and Shea Butter to protect your tummy, boobs, hips and thighs from stretch marks and itching, and antioxidant Vitamin E to intensely moisturise.
3. Bloom & Blossom Anti Stretch Mark Cream
A rich and luxurious cream, which helps the skin maintain its elasticity and reduces the appearance of stretch marks, using omega rich shea butter and cocoa butter help restore skin tone and provide a protective barrier to lock in skin’s moisture.
4. KINN Body Lotion
A softening and moisturising lotion, infused with sunflower oil, shea butter, cacao butter and aloe vera to nourish and balance your body.
5. Elemis Japanese Camellia Body Oil
An iconic ´life-saver` during pregnancy – for good reason! Super rich in plant collagen, which helps combat those stretch marks, whilst giving all-day moisture to the body.
6. Dr Hauschka’s Rose Nurturing Body Cream
A fast-absorbing and harmonising moisturiser, to nourish, comfort and protect your skin from top to toe – infused with rose essential oils and rose wax to deeply hydrate the skin.
7. KINN Body Oil
With aromatic essential oils and organic ingredients, using a mixture of ylang ylang, lavender, coconut oil and sweet almond oil to soften and add radiance to dull and tired looking skin.
8. Neal´s Yard Mother’s Massage Oil
This 100% pure organic skin-nourishing massage oil, infused with soothing orange flower, mandarin and sweet almond essential oils, as well as vitamin E-rich wheatgerm oil – is the ideal treat for mamas to be!
9. Weleda Stretch Mark Massage Oil
This oil only uses pure and natural ingredients to help protect your skin and support it through the bodily changes. With sweet almond oil, vitamin E rich wheatgerm oil and extract of organic arnica to prevent stretch marks forming – this is a real treat to put on.
10. Dr Hauschka Birch Arnica Body Oil
This stimulating body oil helps to increase circulation – ideal for all those lumps and bumps! The refreshing scent helps revive the body, and nourishing plant extracts helps maintain moisture balance for soft and supple skin.
11. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Stretch Marks Cream
A classic, which just had to be included. Renowned for it´s ultra nourishing properties to really target areas such as your hips, thighs, tummy & bust, and has been proven to really help improve skin’s elasticity and moisture.
12. Bloom & Blossom Anti Stretch Mark Oil
A rich and nourishing blend of essential oils which help the skin maintain elasticity, reduce the appearance of stretch marks and scars and even out the skin tone.
13. Neal’s Yard Bee Lovely All Over Balm
I love a good multi-purpose product, and this beautifully scented, 99% organic balm is a beauty must-have for all those dry patches, with organic cocoa butter and beeswax.
1. Elemental Herbology Shiny Locks Shampoo
A highly cleansing and softening shampoo infused with Lavender and Honey which helps to soothe the hair and lock in moisture, and with Wheat protein to help thicken, add volume and shine.
2. Elemental Herbology Hair Soufflé Conditioner
A deeply moisturising conditioner containing Shea Butter, Jojoba and Rosemary which revitalises the hair leaving it feeling glossy and ultra nourished.
3. YesTo Coconut Ultra Moisture Shampoo
Using 98% natural ingredients, this moisture-rich shampoo helps smooth and restore dry, damaged hair. With Coconut, Argan, and Kukui Nut Oils to cleanse hair without making it dry and unruly.
4. YesTo Coconut Ultra Moisture Conditioner
Using 97% natural ingredients, this conditioner is ideal for an unmanageable mane and helps prevent breakage, smoothes and restores dry, damaged hair. With Argan Oil, Sunflower, Aloe and Avocado to infuse moisture, without weighing your hair down.
5. Indemne Gimme Clean Soothing Shampoo
This ultra soothing and natural shampoo helps protects against a dry scalp, scaly and irritated skin. With vegetable oils and 5 essential oils like Cadier Wood, Coriander leaves and Roman, its suitable for all hair and skin types.
6. Rahua Voluminous Shampoo
This sulphate and chemical-free shampoo, is a truly beautiful product, with gives a thick lather (love that), and helps to lift dirt and grease, while leaving hair shiny and full of body.
7. Rahua Voluminous Conditioner
A natural lightweight conditioner, which helps de-tangle your tresses, nourishing & strengthens the follicles without weighing it down.
OTHER BEAUTY MUST-HAVE’S
1. Bloom & Blossom Revitalising Leg & Foot Spray
Specifically developed for pregnant women and new mothers, to help alleviate water retention and to refresh tired and heavy legs, swollen ankles and feet. A lifesaver during the hot, summer months.
2. Dr Hauschka Regenerating Hand Cream
Rich olive and avocado oils as well as silky cocoa butter to help support the skin’s strength and elasticity, leaving hands super nourished, soft and smooth.
3. Soveral Hydrating Face Mist
With Orange Blossom and Roses, this is an ultra hydrating and balancing face mist, and a real quencher – packed with nourishing extracts of Aloe Vera and floral waters. Ideal to prep the skin for face oil and moisturiser or to revive and hydrate the skin throughout the day.
4. Immunocologie Exfoliating Lotion
Ideal for those who tend to shy away from harsh exfoliators. This one really exfoliates at a much finer level in the form of acids, which in turn works hard to dissolve dead skin cells. As it cleverly adjusts to your skin’s pH balance and sebum levels, it’s mild enough to use every day.
5. KINN Bath Oil
This plant-based, eco-friendly, natural and organic bath oil, with ylang ylang, lavender, tangerine, avocado oil, sunflower seed oil, grape seed oil and jojoba oil – is the perfect concoction to help unwind after a busy day.
6. Yope Honey & Bergamot Kitchen Hand Soap
A natural hand soap made with honey & bergamot, free from parabens, colourants and silicones. Ideal for delicate skin, and ideal for frequent use in the kitchen.
7. Yope Mineral Regenerating Natural Hand Lotion
With organic argan and coconut oil, this hand lotion moisturises, smoothes, strengthens and protects the skin, ideal for dry and tired skin.
8. Neal’s Yard Remedies Organic Mother’s Bath Oil
A beautiful bath remedy, designed for use during pregnancy and afterwards to keep skin in good condition – packed with olive, apricot kernel, almond, bergamot, ylang ylang, lavender and cardamom essential oils.
9. Dr Hauschka Hydrating Mask
This hydrating masks, really helps retain moisture – ideal for dry, sensitive and mature skin. Using a blend of botanicals, it also helps to soothe, protect and revitalise your skin, leaving it smooth and supple.
10. Herbivore Pink Clay Exfoliating Clay Mask
Another ultra softening and natural mask; ideal for skin which is need of some extra TLC (hello pregnancy skin!), only using natural botanicals and clay.
11. Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Cucumber and Green Tea
A super hydrating facial spray to really cool, refresh and wake up dull, tired skin – before moisturising or throughout the day after makeup, for a quick antioxidant boost.
12. Bloom & Blossom Indulgence Bath Oil
Specifically created for new and expecting mums, this indulgent bath oil, infused with Sweet Almond, Apricot Kernel, Lavender and Ylang-Ylang, creates a tranquil and relaxing experience, whilst helping to minimise the appearance of stretch marks and scars.
13. Weleda Foot Balm
The ideal balm for really dry, rough and sore feet – to give way to smooth and soft heals, soles and toes.
14. Alex Carro Exfoliating Powder
Ideal for all skin types, with bamboo and rosehip for gentle and effective exfoliation, Papaya and pineapple to help break down skin cells, and leaves your skin feeling super refreshed, bright and radiant.