Christmas time… It literally gives me the warmest, fuzziest and happiest feeling. It´s by far my favourite season, and probably even my favourite time of year. Growing up in Norway, a land of white winters, log cabins and an idyllic setting – I always turn into a little kid come Christmas time (far too much than I would like to admit) – watching the same cheesy movies over and over again, hibernating in my onesie, eating countless amounts of pepperkaker and kanel gifflar (ginger biscuits and cinnamon rolls), swapping the red wine for mulled…the list goes on. As much as we always try to be in Norway during this period – I also love the time leading up to Christmas in London, with festive food markets, shopping at Liberty´s, ice skating, seasonal musical, ballets and plays to watch, and cramming dinner and drinks with friends before the year ends – and yet another one begins…
So following this festive spirit of mine, I was thrilled when SWAROVSKI approached me to collaborate on their new “Best Wishes“ campaign, in line with the exclusive collaboration as designed by Miranda Kerr – a sparkly collection of jewellery, infused with spirited and meaningful symbols for the holiday season. I was asked to select and style the symbol which I personally could represent with – and I chose the symbol of the star, which holds the meaning of ´JOY`.
Ask me a few years back, and I probably wouldn’t have chosen this symbol. I decided to go with Joy, because it represents how I have finally come to stage of my life feeling so much more content and happy. It doesn’t mean that I am complete and don´t have many more years to go where I will hopefully be achieving lots more things both career and personal-wise, and embarking on several new challenges; but I have come to realise a few things with growing older, and in the past two years, I have taken some conscious decisions to enhance my life, which has in turn given me this sense of lightheartedness – and joy…
TURNING THINGS AROUND
1. No job will ever define or control me. In April 2014 I decided to leave my full-time job and embark on this new chapter of being a freelancer and full-time blogger. It happened to be the best decision I ever made.
2. Follow your own path, make mistakes and rise again. Working for yourself is by no means easy – sure, it´s nice that you can choose your own days – but the pressure is always there to deliver, if not for anyone else, always for yourself. After many months of struggling to find the balance, I am finally in a place where I´ve got control of what I am doing, and what direction I am taking.
3. Don´t beat yourself up. We are our own worst critic and enemy sometimes, and I was definitely guilty of this. Nothing was ever good enough; I could always do more, do better, do bigger… Learning that I am only human and giving myself some slack, has brought a lot more positivity into my life.
4. Focus on what really matters. In my early teens right up until a couple of years ago, my career, my focus on work – controlled my entire life; all driven by this urge of making something out of myself. That´s not to say that I am no longer career driven – but it came to a point, where enough was enough, and I wanted to spend more time with family and friends – the people and things in life which really matters. And as soon as I stopped letting work control my life, I got the balance back, and in turn became a lot nicer, and happier person.
5. Do things to make YOU happy. We spend our early years always wanting to fit in, follow the trends, the norms… As soon as started doing my own thing, stopped comparing what I was doing with others and began doing things solely because I wanted to, not because I had to – it gave me such an incredible sense of freedom.
I adore the collection, which is not surprising, considering I have always been a big fan of symbolic jewellery. My personal favourites are these gorgeous earring jackets – which I have layered together with a single star, adding more of a unique edge to the overall look.
The collection and the symbolic pieces also make the perfect Christmas for your loved ones – you can choose from six other symbols: Brilliance, Grace, Love, Luck, Strength and Spirit (shop the entire collection here). I love that the collection is sparkly, yet still really delicate and timeless with the usage of blue, silver and rose gold tones – and I personally like the idea of showing how you can wear these beautiful pieces everyday, not just for dressy occasions.
“This symbol to me, epitomises the key to a happy life – staying positive in challenging situations, not taking everything to heart, and lastly – focusing on the true joys of life being family, friends and good health – because in the end of the day, that´s all that really matters.”
SWAROVSKI Holiday Collection as designed by Miranda Kerr:
Duo Set Star Necklace
Duo Star Pierced Earring Jackets
Duo Star Bangle
& Other Stories Coat (similar here)
Ash Booties (similar here)
Saint Laurent Bag
Created in collaboration with SWAROVSKI. All words, styling and creative direction my own.
#MYSPARKLING WISH COMPETITION
For the chance to win a SWAROVSKI Christmas hamper for you or your loved one – filled with baubles, shimmering tea lights and a selection of pieces from the Miranda Kerr collection: follow @SWAROVSKIUK on Twitter and tweet your Christmas wish for a loved one using the hashtag #MySparklingWish and tagging @SWAROVSKIUK. See T&C´s here.
Beautfully styled and said!
Thank you Sarah!
serious vaca envy!
Gorgeous! Love those earrings too :)
Thank you Teresa!
Cool look! I’m loving the colors
Very nice style, glam and chic